Tuesday 13 January 2009

A Newfound Friend

Aha! I have just realized I have lost the ability to keep track of the days. Sunday, Monday, Saturday, Friday.. yeah watever. They seem the same to me. I have to say, now I can hardly find time to relax and unwind. Other than work with AAK, I have to go for both bike and driving lessons, lifesaving( which tops my favourites along side with AAK work ), volunteer work and ...hmm I have lost track. Anyway, it feels really awkward for me to see boys and girls in school uniform on buses and on the streets while I am not, for the first time. Well, the driving experience with me actually behind the wheel also gives me the somewhat quirky feel. I just cant reallly get myself used to driving a car. Even during driving lessons on the road, I cant help it but feel like I'm immersed in this dream-like feeling. I even tend to feel sleepy as I concentrate on the two white lines on the road, so that the car wont be swaying from left to right. THankfully I have a real nice and considerate instructor Mr Pang...unlike the previous one For sure, once I pass the JPJ test(hopefully I will), and I start driving on the road, the police may ask me to pull over.
" Boy, you macam underage memandu. License. License."

Well anyway, enough of driving. Yesterday, I went for volunteer work at Adventist Hospital as usual. It's really nice of Ms Wong to post me to different departments each time I go.
First, reception.
Then, medical records.
Next, finance department.
Now, Development.....

Development. Very positive word. Very positive, jolly people working there too. Though, all of them there were women. They were real friendly happy-go-lucky people, yeah just my type. So, what we did yesterday was setting up a counter for donation at the main entrance. From the counter, which served as a HQ, scouts were sent out to explain this donation program going on to people all over the hospital and solicit for donations. Here's how the " Make a Wish "program goes :
Aim : Raise funds for the childrens hospital.
Target group : Visitors and patients
Modus Operandi : Explanation and stretch- Hands-out(of course not like that lah)

Basically you can donate any amount that you like.
However heres the offer:
1) donate rm10 and u get a gold wishing star made of card. u fill in ur wishes and we hang it up on the large pinetree at the foyer or the cherry blossom tree ( which by the way is so full of such stars that one may think that stars, not leaves grow on trees.which of course is a good sign)

2) donate rm 100 and u get a red star. same procedure as above.

3) donate rm1000. ha........! and u get a fish! no not the one you have with deep fried garlic. It's a soft toy. We call it the "million dollar fish"

4) of course u could donate rm10000 and above......

ANd, oh yeah, I made a new friend today and I mean a friend that's hard to find! He's 12. He's chubby, cute. and he's an australian! What amazes me most is that he's so mature for his age and I dare say he's much more mature(though not in the physical aspect) than most of the friends my age and even some who are much older than I am, and I have to say in some aspects more than me too.

So how did I get to know this little chipmunk? I approached a lady who was accompanying her sick mum waiting at the reception and explained the donation progam to her. She listened to me explain all about it but initially she didnt really want want to donate(probably because she's not too sure whether I am a legitimate staff for adventist). Then, few minutes later, she was asking me over and from waht I could see, her son, a chubby little fellow has managed to persuade his mum to donate rm10. then, his mum suggested that he accompanied me to seek for donations since he was doing nothing waiting with his mum and grandma. ANd he willingly obeyed. And so, my little 2 hour journey with my newfound friend soon set sailed. We sailed through treacherous corridors, galloped across reception counters, brandishing our mighty brochures and gold cardboard stars, fighting for what is right and for the best of mankind, ....... by soliciting donations. Ahh you dont find such knights anymore do you?LOL.
At the end of the day, no no, at the end of my shift, we managed to collect RM 650 in total(that includes my two other friends' effort).


However, It was also quite disappointing as 70% of the people we approached refused to even let us explain to them, moreover donating a dime.

I have been writing about this same thing for the 3rd time. Why? Because everytime I am halfway through writing, with all the inspiration pouring in, my computer blackouts! 2 times and it wasnt autosaved.

I really got to go. Cant be late for the thing I am going for now or I'll risk losing my RM 200. Will update abt this thing I am going to tomorrow. No its no illegal activity.

So long!

No comments: