Sunday 27 January 2008

Thaipusam

Yes, I know Thaipusam is long over and I am, here, writing about it.
Thaipusam, a yearly affair for me and my family. last year, we went to the Waterfall Temple at 5am but this year we arrived long after the sun was up.

Thaipusam is widely celebrated by the Hindus and also the Chinese in Malaysia. Here, you can truly see a fusion of culture between the different races in Malaysia. Something I dare bet you dont find it anywhere else on the face of the earth.
Here, I will briefly describe to you the "process" undertaken by a devotee:
#1 Get a coconut
#2 You do this: Smash the coconut as hard as you can with hope that it breaks.
WHy? It is an act that symbolizes how determined you are to achieve whatever you prayed for.
#3 Get to the main altar to offer your prayers to the GODS.


Additional photos ( robotics competition)
me AND my trademark pose........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are your balls going to drop??
so you grap them so tightly...